The League of Women Voters of the Mt Pleasant Area operates with an Administrative Team model. The Team meets monthly. The dates can be found in our League calendar. The League sponsors candidate forums, participates in voter registration events and provides programming to the community. Dates and times for community and member events will be announced in the calendar, through emails and on social media as they are scheduled.
Joining League is a great way to get involved in your community and play an active role in our democracy. League members make a difference by educating voters and protecting voter rights.
Who is eligible to join?
Membership in the League of Women Voters is open to all citizens (men and women) of voting age. Associate membership is open to young people and noncitizens.
What will you gain from League membership?
- You automatically become a member of our local League, LWV Michigan and LWV of the United States.
- You will receive League publications.
- You will be adding your voice to the voices of League members from all 50 states, Washington DC, the Virgin Islands and Hong Kong.
- You will be contributing to our nation’s democracy.
- You will be providing a service to voters and your community.
- You will be making a difference in the lives of voters
- You will meet new people and develop new relationships.
- You will develop new skills and learn about critical issues in our community.
How much time will it take?
Its up to you how much time you devote to League. Throughout the year, there will be volunteer opportunities. You choose which opportunities meet your interests and availability. There are also opportunities to contact your elected officials in support of League positions. And there are opportunities to serve in leadership positions at the local, state and national level.
What volunteer opportunities exist with the League of Women Voters of the Mt Pleasant Area?
- The League advocates on issues for which it has taken a position.
- The local League studies local issues and develops positions on those issues.
- Assist with voter registration.
- Assist with Candidate Forums as a timer, greeter, or moderator. Help prepare questions for candidates based on current events, issues and legislation.
- Assist with the management of VOTE411.org.
- Assist with the distribution the Voter Guide.
- Assist with voter education.
Staff a League information table at League and community events
- Assist with the staffing of a table at events.
- Assist with preparing and distributing League materials at events.
Technology and communication
Assist with such things as email management, newsletters, website, Facebook, graphic design, handouts and publicity.
- Help plan and coordinate events.
- Help solicit and coordinate volunteers for events.
- Provide refreshments for events.